Wayland integration tests

Marek Ch mchqwerty at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:46:32 CET 2013

> "assread(...)" and "asswrite(...)" are not clever function names ;-)

I know but I couldn't help myself xD Of course I can change the names.

>> This is very similar to what we're trying to do in weston tests/.  Did
> >you consider just building out the current weston in-tree test suite?

Yes, I did. But I agree with U. Artie that it is slightly different (and it
should be
otherwise I failed writing what I intended)

> I think it's a little more "generic", though.   This test suite doesn't
have dependencies
> on any particular compositor implementation (except for the internal
"mock"
> server and client).  Also, it appears it is completely independent of any
particular
> "graphics" layers (??).

Yes, it is completely independent of any compositor except the internal one
as well as
of any other layer. The aim of the tests is to test the protocol itself.

> Although it's an integration test suite, it feels like just one step
beyond "unit"
> testing for the core wayland protocols (which is not a bad thing).  I
think this
> suite would be a nice addition to the current test framework in the
"wayland"
> source tree rather than a standalone project.

Actually, I begun to develop these tests in wayland tree but split it off
later.
The main reason was that there was complete mess in files (but it can be
easily solved
by moving non-test files into subdirectory) and the tests depend only
on libwayland-{client,server}.so. So there was no need to keep it in
wayland tree
at that times and creating standalone project was a great move toward
readability
of structure and the code.

> Adding it to the wayland tree
> would certainly encourage developers and testers to adopt and use it more
> and provide a nice framework for "generic" client<->server protocol
testing.

Yes, this definitely would be a huge advantage.

> Would you be willing to entertain the idea of adding it to wayland?

Sure, since it has only pros (contributors, access to wayland-private.h and
so on)
I think it would be good.

Thanks,
Marek Ch