systemd and cgroups

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Sun Jan 12 08:20:02 PST 2014

This is not the right list. You want to email
systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org.

freedesktop simply hosts infrastructure for systemd. The "xdg" list is
involved with creating cross-desktop standards, not with all software the
freedesktop infrastructure hosts.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Dominique Michel <
dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch> wrote:

> Recently, I experimented with Debian sid, which installed systemd.
> Systemd idea is nice, but its implementation is a catastrophe. It is
> more than one year I am using the kernel cgroups on gentoo to get rt
> scheduling with JACK, that without any trouble.
>
> http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/Cgroups
>
> On that Debian system, this was just impossible, because whatever I
> try, systemd insisted to put what it think is good to have into the rt
> cgroup, which soon or later resulted in a complete system freeze with
> even dead magic keys. After loosing my time a few days with this, I
> removed Debian and installed gentoo instead.
>
> I found the reason here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1063354
>
> "Lennart Poettering:
>
> Well, this feature is... completely irrelevant for normal desktop
> people.
> In fact, I just prepped a patch to systemd to move every service and
> every user session into its own cgroup in the 'cpu' hierarchy (in
> addition to the group it already creates in the 'systemd' hierarchy)."
>
> What terrify me in that story is the total lack of consideration for
> the needs of who the chief developer of systemd strongly suggest are
> abnormal desktop users.
>
> More, this systemd patch is more than 3 years old now, and I found that
> freedesktop is involved in that mess:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ControlGroupInterface/
>
> So, that imply, if I am right with my diagnostic, the next question is
> what can be done to solve that issue?
>
> Best Regards,
> Dominique

  Jasper