[Pm-utils] Fwd: Suddenly lost the ability to suspend

Ryan Hughes ryan at iheartryan.com
Sat Feb 21 13:06:46 PST 2009

Hi.  I've got some more info.
I got out a backup drive that was made before, when sleep worked.  I can
boot from it, and it can still sleep.  So that means there's some sort of
software problem.  I looked through a bunch of files, and didn't see
anything obvious.  I thought I'd send it along and see if someone here
could help interpret the results, or knew of an additional source of info.

I attached two dmesg's:  One from when I booted from my backup, where
sleep worked.  That's called dmesg.good.txt.  The other is from when I
boot now, where sleep doesn't work.  That's called dmesg.bad.txt.

I took diffs of many commands.  They are attached.
One is 'dpkg -l', showing all the packages I have installed.

One is lsmod | sort.

There is no difference in uname -a.  That's:
 	Linux drawesome 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 02:46:46 UTC
2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I also included diff -Nru of the good /etc directory with that of my
current /etc/ directory.

I edited out a little bit of sensitive information.  vpn config files and
such.
Note:  There's a lot of stuff in there about kvm.  But it turns out that
my processor (an Intel Celeron) can't run kvm, so it is not actually
loaded.

So, I hope somebody can help me out.  If not, I will just have to
reinstall my OS, as though this was Windows Vista or something.

Thanks.
--Ryan